Biggest Need

MONEY

It's not glamorous. It's not pretty. It's not fun. It's not creative. It's not ingenious. It's not smart. It's not comical.

It is endearing. It is powerful. It is helpful. It is necessary. It is provision. It is humbling. It is impactful. It is peace-providing.

You have two ways you can give: YouCaring & PayPal

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

His First BIG Day

Hello World!

I (Coral) am FINALLY focusing on writing out today's happenings and tidbits. So, grab some water and some tissue, You ready? Lets do this!

The morning was spent with Daddy because Mommy wet home last night, heeding the instruction of medical staff, to get quality sleep and handle some non-CHOC life stuffs. Did y'all know that life outside of CHOC keep plugging along whether you show up or not? Talk about rude.

Daddy was able to handle some work stuffs from the hospital room. Technology can be a real blessing. He is also using it to encourage me to put fuel in my body and hydrate. Such a thoughtful man.

Mommy was able to rest, regroup, feel productive AND even stop n at her work to have contact with a few of her people. Mommy came back to CHOC a little before Dempsey was set to be wheeled off on his Dempsey Mobile to pre-op on the 3rd floor.

He was busy playing on an ipad provided by Child Life as a distraction to notice he was given happy juice. It was fun to watch his head gain weight before our eyes and his eye lids start to fill with sand. Precious boy started gettin loopy and then they wheeled him off to surgery. Daddy and Mommy went and got a bite to eat until our pager went off and called us to post-op to see our sleeping angel.

Surgery went well. Praise God. He had a bone marrow aspiration and a spinal tap with some chemo.

He barely woke up for reals just now (6:30pm) after sleeping since 1:30pm or so. I am so grateful for all that sleep because it meant his pain level was so low as to not interfere with his sleep. Again, answer to prayer.

Dempsey slept for a long time. A really long time.

He woke up ready to eat and drink. So he did. A graham cracker and water. I went to give him Tylenol to help ease the pain he mentioned having and he threw up. My poor baby! He was a bit traumatized. Can you blame him? I'm now realizing that that could have been because of the chemo since he did so well coming off anesthesia yesterday. This mama was doing well up to that point. Now my nerves are all running amuck.

Currently he is all naked, snuggled under his little blanket distracted/ entertained by Ice Age 2 on the portable DVD player Granddad brought him.

Prayer requests:

  • for MIRACULOUS HEALING
  • for NO PAIN
  • for no negative reactions to drugs he's being given
  • for courage
  • for peace and comfort of all kinds
  • for his mind to delete the awful memories he might obtain through all of these new experiences
  • for wisdom as Jake and I share with him what is happening
  • for wisdom as Jake and I make decisions about Dempsey's treatment
  • that God would guide our thoughts and decisions on the right course
  • that we would see God's provision in even the smallest of ways moment to moment
  • that the results from today's biopsies will be as positive as they can be and give us the diagnosis of A-L-L (acute lymphoblastic/ lymphocytic leukemia)
  • that God is orchestrating Dempsey's team here at CHOC and guiding them to the right course of treatment for our baby
  • for strength, for all of us
  • that we will be mindful and discerning to Sawyer, his desires and needs
  • for productive rest for all of us
  • that Dempsey will be able to keep nutrients and water down so he can keep up physical strength
  • that I (Coral) will eat/ drink enough to maintain health
  • that Jake and I will manage our self-care in such a way as to protect us from getting sick
  • that we can let others help where and when we need to


**Sorry for the long gap between posts... I've ben trying to finish this post for almost 4 hours.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, Coral. Been praying and wondering and checking the blog. I pray that you are all flooded with peace, comfort, rest and healing after such a big day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks once again for the news of the day. I don't know how you do all you do, sprinkle in some Coralisms (humor and sarcasm) that give me joy in the midst of your trial, and write such insightful and informative posts. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coral,
    I found out yesterday from Patty. I am sending you all my love and prayers and also an anecdote. I was working at the reference desk at the Central Library tonight and was talking with two guys from Point Man Ministries. They are a local group that works with veterans. We were chatting about the library's Veterans Resource Center and this and that, when suddenly one them stopped and asked if there was anything I needed prayer for. I was about to demur, since I was on company time, but Dempsey has been on my mind all day. So, I asked them to pray for him, thinking they would just keep that in mind for their meeting later. But he bowed his head right there. And so, two Vietnam vets and a librarian were lifting your boy up in prayer tonight at the Whittier Public Library. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update! I've been praying all day and thinking about you all.
    Coral, is there anything that Dempsey and Sawyer like to do or play with that I could bring to the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the update! I've been praying all day and thinking about you all.
    Coral, is there anything that Dempsey and Sawyer like to do or play with that I could bring to the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family is heavy on my heart! And YES mom and dad need to take care of themselves too. Sandy Lee

    ReplyDelete