Biggest Need

MONEY

It's not glamorous. It's not pretty. It's not fun. It's not creative. It's not ingenious. It's not smart. It's not comical.

It is endearing. It is powerful. It is helpful. It is necessary. It is provision. It is humbling. It is impactful. It is peace-providing.

You have two ways you can give: YouCaring & PayPal

Monday, May 16, 2016

Parenting A Child With Cancer Is Hard

If you think parenting a normal, healthy child is hard, then parenting a child with cancer (or special needs) must be impossible.

I'm not saying parenting is easy. It's hands down the hardest job on the planet. It's also so totally worth it. These little blank slates that we get to impart our wisdom on and mold into hopefully amazing adults capable of changing the world. The potential is there.

Last night my heart was broken simply by the act of parenting (disciplining) my child with cancer. Contrary to popular beliefs, Dempsey isn't perfect. Shocking, I know. For dinner I made the following: salmon filets, veggie soup (zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper- delicious), and a veggie salad (celery, cauliflower, broccoli, pine nuts, mayo, honey, vinegar). It was scrumptious. However, Dempsey was completely put off by ALL the vegetables. Now, he's typically a very good eater. So, I'm not sure exactly what this is all about except perhaps the potential that we got too lax with him when he was inpatient at CHOC. Hard to remain dietetically strong in a place like that.

Regardless, Jake made Dempsey try one bite of the salad. Dempsey was so worked up that he didn't even keep it in his mouth for 30 seconds before throwing up. Lovely. I was so mad. I mean, the food is not gross. It's not gooey, so there's no texture concern (oatmeal takes effort for Demps right now). He simply psyched himself out so much his body revolted.

All I could do was glare at him. Then comes the guilt. You saw that coming, right?

My kid doesn't realize that he MUST eat a ton of veggies to remain healthy. More than he's ever eaten before. I don't know why he thinks he doesn't like these veggies... he's eaten them before. I will NOT have him controlling what he eats... because he doesn't know what's best for him. He simply knows what he likes.

I just want him strong. He doesn't understand that. We are changing our diet and he needs to get on board- for his health! I don't know what to do. I don't want to force him to eat because I'm afraid of creating a food-related problem (disorder). I can not allow him to skip all these veggies because he needs them... all of them.

So many emotions...

Prayer requests:
Pray that Dempsey will welcome all veggies
Pray that he will not resist the food we provide
Pray that he will accept what we tell him regardless of understanding
Pray for our resolve as parents
Pray that we can get Dempsey healthy with solid nutrition
Pray for wisdom
Pray as you feel led

No comments:

Post a Comment